Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Other Great Music

• 112 posts
    October 4, 2011 10:06 AM PDT

I thought it might be fun to keep up a conversation about bands other than Gillian and David, since we are all (presumably) interested in listening to good stuff and learning about more good stuff.

The new Ryan Adams album is streaming right now, either on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2011/09/25/140640429/first-listen-ryan-adams-ashes-and-fire (Check out the new Joe Henry on that page, too)

or http://ashesandfire.com/ (where you can listen to some bonus tracks, too).

• 112 posts
    October 18, 2011 10:14 AM PDT
    • 112 posts
    October 23, 2011 2:52 PM PDT
    New Tom Waits on Monday!
    • 112 posts
    November 2, 2011 5:29 PM PDT
    Still digesting the new albums listed above, as I just got all three in the mail. Also just started listening to Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent, and the album 'Shovels and Rope' has a hold of me. I recommend it. That one's thanks to @beebles.
    • 112 posts
    November 15, 2011 8:18 AM PST
    Hanggai is a Mongolian folk group doing beautiful stuff: http://hanggai.bandcamp.com/ />
    I've also been listening to the spectacular harmonies of The Boswell Sisters - can anyone recommend a favorite recording of theirs? The reviews at Amazon are mixed in terms of production quality.
    • 41 posts
    November 19, 2011 3:59 PM PST

I'd recommend Amy LaVere.  Her album Anchors & Anvils is just great.

Other artists I love:

Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet

Del McCoury Band.  The best bluegrass band around and the one that got me heavy into bluegrass music in general.

Leo Kottke

Tom Waits

Jolie Holland (formerly of the Be Good Tanyas) - check out Escondida for a good starter album.

Madeline Adams - her albums "Black Velvet" and "Kissing and Dancing" are really good

The Jerry Garcia Band (better than the Grateful Dead IMO)

Zoe Keating - Cello X 16

John Hartford (my favs are Mark Twang, Steam Powered Aero-Plain, and Morning Bugle)

I'm also into a ton of more experimental stuff like Jack Rose, The Residents, John Zorn...etc

If you haven't heard the new Yo-Yo Ma Album "The Goat Rodeo Sessions" get it quick!

• 29 posts
    November 25, 2011 12:36 AM PST
    I completely agree with sponweb about checking out Jerry Garcia, but I lean more towards the 3 Old & In The Way CDs (Old & In The Way, Breakdown and That High Lonesome Sound), the 2 Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band CDs (Almost Acoustic & Ragged But Right) and the 5 Garcia & Grisman CDs (Grisman & Garcia, Not For Kids Only, Shady Grove, Been All Around This World, The Pizza Tapes [w/ Tony Rice] & So What).
    • 29 posts
    November 25, 2011 1:07 AM PST
    Here's a suggestion, if you love Nick Drake, then be sure to check out Scottish singer/songwriter Alexi Murdoch. Four Songs (EP), Time Without Consequence, Away We Go (Sndtrk) & Towards The Sun. Bastard son of Nick Drake? He was born in England the same year Nick passed away, so anything's possible.
    • 41 posts
    December 12, 2011 7:46 AM PST
    Brian - if you haven't heard it, you should check out the old Jerry album "Mother McCrees Uptown Jug Champions"
    • 29 posts
    December 12, 2011 10:06 AM PST
    Yeah, I need to find it at some point or have someone burn it for me 'cuz it's already out of print.
    • 9 posts
    June 12, 2012 5:49 PM PDT
    How about Sarah Jarosz. I actually call her "Baby Gill" to myself. I think her talent is epic for her age and beyond. She has some amazing musicians on her records. I am also waiting for the arrival of Kin from Rodney Crowell & writing partner.
    • 29 posts
    July 18, 2012 7:01 PM PDT
    I'm going to see her for the first time @ The Rio next month (8/8/12). She's opening for Casey Chambers.
    • 9 posts
    July 23, 2012 6:14 AM PDT
    I would love to see her, but I couldn't make the closest show to Cleveland, which was Ann Arbor.

I went to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops at this beautiful venue in Cleveland, Cain park, where I'd love to see Gillian & Dave play one summer. CCD were amazing. It is amazing to watch them go to town on their various instruments... we were captivated the entire time. I'd put them in the top five of my most enjoyable concert experiences.
    • 29 posts
    July 23, 2012 11:38 AM PDT
    I LOVE Cain Park. Haven't seen CCD yet. The closest they've come is SF, which is abount an hr. and a half North.
    • 9 posts
    July 23, 2012 8:03 PM PDT
    Ah, yes, I forgot you were a Clevelander! Gillian & Dave have never played there, and it is definitely smaller than what they've been playing lately, but still substantial, especially with the lawn... would be the perfect summer venue for them. (In fact, my mom mentioned it to them during one of my blackouts after the Buffalo show.)
    • 112 posts
    July 31, 2012 5:07 PM PDT
    I am going to see The Milk Carton Kids next week; definitely worth a listen if you like the duet sound and intricate guitar work. plus their albums are free.
    • 9 posts
    September 26, 2012 4:44 PM PDT
    They were just in Cleveland as well. I sadly didn't go due to lack of friends and venue. I am hoping to make it to Columbus, OH to see Rodney Crowell in October. I love him for reasons unknown to me. He just seems like an amazing guy. I really regret skipping Brandi Carlile in Cleveland as well as I don't think I'll make it to any of her fall shows (all 3-4+ hours away).
    • 10 posts
    August 27, 2013 12:16 PM PDT

other great music...

I like the Be Good Tanyas 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPbRBnNRno

and Jenny Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ5PZLk4x8U

Only just became aware of Sigur Ros, a band from Iceland. I find it moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xow2gnVTUjs

oh and i second Sarah Janosz :) she's brilliant 

This post was edited by niels at August 27, 2013 12:40 PM PDT
    • 1 posts
    March 9, 2015 4:22 PM PDT

I'm always on the lookout for great songwriters, particularly the Americana-ish ones who aren't afraid to get dark and tragic. Some of my favorites I've discovered over the last year (I'm sure you've heard of some, but hey, on the off chance you missed em):

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Milk Carton Kids - Prologue

Dawes - Nothing is Wrong

Del Barber - Headwaters

Willie Watson - Folk Singer Vol.1

• 5 posts
    • 5 posts
    September 28, 2015 10:29 PM PDT
    • 135 posts
    September 29, 2015 3:29 PM PDT

I got to add a few singer songwriters that are great friends of mine. London is such a great hub of Americana music and I know a lot of the locals and foreigners that come by to visit and stay a while. Ben Folke Thomas is my best buddy and has recently gone back to sweden. He writes amazing songs. The `Hank Dogs are one of the Last bands Joe Boyd produced and are a duo like Gill & Dave. They are also legendary. Robery Chaney from Florida has lived inb london a couple of years and he's one of the finest around. Tom Paley has lived in London 30 odd years, he's now 82 and Dylan is a fan. Danny & The Champions Of the World go from Strength to strength and Lorraine Wood is sublime.