Forums » News and Announcements

A David Rawlings biography

• 112 posts
    December 29, 2011 5:41 PM PST

(As far as I can determine) David Todd Rawlings was born December 31, 1969 in Pawtucket, RI, and grew up in Slatersville, which is part of Smithfield, kicking around abandoned mill buildings, listening to Neil Young, and playing video games (I intend to confirm details about this last factoid at my next opportunity). His first guitar was purchased for a talent show performance of "Heart of Gold," with his pal Glenn on harmonica. I'd love a tape of that. Y'all know he is best known as Gillian's partner, that they met in Boston at Berklee School of Music in 1990 (prior to which he had studied English at the University of Richmond, which just happens to be the alma mater of both my sister and husband's brother),and all that jazz you can get on Wikipedia and whatnot, as well as the following: "David Rawlings achieves his signature guitar sound  flatpicking  a small archtop guitar. The 1935  Epiphone  Olympic that has been his primary instrument was a mid-priced guitar for its time, with a carved arched solid sprucewood top, carved arched solid mahogany back and mahogany sides. It sold for about $35 in 1935. The guitar's lower bout measures 13 5/8 inches wide, and it has three piece f-holes." (Wikipedia).

This post was edited by sarahct at October 12, 2015 6:03 PM PDT