Forums » News and Announcements

New guy video request

• January 27, 2012 5:53 AM PST

Hey folks- Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but just wondering if anyone has access to video of a live performance of 'Scarlet Town'?  I've found two on You Tube, just wondering if there are any others floating around.... I'm trying to learn the song and watching Dave's left hand is pretty essential for a hack like me trying to figure it out.....

Any other guitarists/musicians on here?  I've seen some photos of some pretty nice instruments floating around, so I can only assume.....  I'm not very good myself, but I enjoy playing and I'm trying to improve, especially by trying to decipher DR's lead lines.....

Here's a cover of 'Hard Times' I put up on YouTube awhile back.... I started playing ukulele last year and got hooked on a great ukulele forum where folks post and comment on each others videos, so I try to use the uke for the banjo part.  My vocals aren't the best, but you get the idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yaEDL3uFpE

Glad to be here and thanks in advance for any help......

Bill

• 112 posts
    January 27, 2012 9:28 AM PST
    Hey, I know you from ukuleleforums! There are lots of musicians here. I haven't perused the video archive here for Scarlet Town, specifically, but I would start there.
    • 112 posts
    January 27, 2012 9:37 AM PST
    So, I would love to chat about subbing uke for banjo on Gillian covers. I have just come into a banjo, so I'm trying to learn that, but I'm a little more comfortable with uke still (by which I mean I am a hopeless novice at both). Do you transcribe the banjo bits directly into uke, or do you play guitar tabs?
  • January 27, 2012 12:11 PM PST
    Hey, Sara - nice to meet another uker!

The video archive is the first place I looked for 'Scarlet Town'.... there seem to be a few collectors here, so I was hoping someone might have something stashed......

As far as using the uke - I just started myself last spring, so I still kind of treat it like a tiny guitar, which is what I did on that 'Hard Times' cover. I've had some luck using it like a mandolin on some bluegrass tunes, but I've really just started exploring the ukulele's banjo-esque aspects.... You've probably seen that you can use the uke for clawhammer, pretty much like a banjo. I've been working on it a lot lately and it's slowly coming together.

This site: http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/Clawhammer/clawhammer.html />
    has a good tutorial and some nice clawhammer uke tabs with demonstration videos at various levels. I'm working my way through, picking up speed.....

Aaron Keim has posted some good stuff on clawhammer uke as well - Here's his first online tutorial-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSlmEZUtROo />
    He's got some other good stuff on his site, as well - he's a builder of quality ukes & banjos and has released of couple of pretty albums also....

So far, I really just figure out as much as I can by ear and make it up as I go along. I'm hoping that will improve as I get better......